> I'm a one-handed typist (right-handed), and to me both are
> about equally bad on ergonomical grounds. I don't think of
> what I do as "pecking" however: I know where the keys are on
> my AZERTY keyboard, and I use all five fingers of my right
> hand, which is not "riveted" to a constant location over the
> keyboard: this makes for "reasonably" fast typing, maybe
> faster that some of you decadactylographers ;-) .
>
> I go with the previous argument however: bdw has the
> inconvenient of including a "prepare step":
>
> bdw   (move);(delete(word))
> diw   (delete((inner)word))
>

> In my mental model, bdw is two steps, diw is one.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Tony,

I had indeed not considered those who either typed with one hand or used
a non-QWERTY keyboard.  In retrospect, if I were typing with one hand, I
think I would prefer bdw to diw simply because the keys for it are close
together, allowing for faster entry.

Bdw is definitely two steps, both mentally and in actuality.  As someone
else pointed out, you can repeat diw with a ., but not bdw, as it is not
atomic.

Regards,

Salman.