On 5/2/07, Robert Cussons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Yakov Lerner wrote:
> On 4/27/07, Robert Cussons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Tony, doubt he'll be that interested as he's an emacs user! But
>> anyway some time next week I will try and convince him.
>

> You can install latest vim under your $HOME -- this does not
> require any root privileges -- with a single command, a script
> 'vim7-install.sh'.
>
> Script vim7-install.sh is at
>
>    http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1473
>    "vim7-install.sh : {download + build + install} latest vim7 [from
> svn sources] in 1 command"
>
> Yakov

Thanks very much Yakov, just done that and it seems to have worked fine,
there's just a couple of curious things:

1) below is the first part of the output, what are the errors right at
the bottom of this part?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sh ./vim7-install.sh
This will download, build and install vim7 (using svn).
Select one of the following:
1) You know root password and you want to install
    vim globally for all users on this computer
    (into /usr/local/bin)
2) You do not know root password or you want to
    install vim under your $HOME/bin directory
2
# previously downloaded source found.
     * checking for locally modified files ...
**** Found locally modified files
(dir=/var/tmp/user4046/vim7_from_svn/vim7) *****
M      src/auto/config.mk
**** Found locally modified files
(dir=/var/tmp/user4046/vim7_from_svn/vim7) *****
Select (1) Discard local changes (2) Keep local changes [1] ?
2
+ cd /var/tmp/user4046/vim7_from_svn/vim7
+ svn up
Error validating server certificate for 'https://svn.sourceforge.net:443':
  - The certificate is not issued by a trusted authority. Use the
    fingerprint to validate the certificate manually!
Certificate information:
  - Hostname: *.sourceforge.net
  - Valid: from Jan 17 18:17:01 2007 GMT until Mar 18 18:17:01 2008 GMT
  - Issuer: Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, Equifax, US
  - Fingerprint: a1:3a:51:83:60:5e:81:07:be:6c:06:d1:db:34:9b:d8:b9:40:b5:d0
(R)eject, accept (t)emporarily or accept (p)ermanently? p
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svnroot/vim/vim7'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svnroot/vim/vim7': Could not read status line: Secure
connection truncated (https://svn.sourceforge.net)
svn returned error(s). Press Enter to continue, Ctrl-C to stop

2) it says I should validate the certificate manually, but how do you
actually go about doing that?

3) the final part of the output is as follows:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/user4046/vim7_from_svn/vim7/src'
Build and install successful

***********************************
***********************************
**** Warning: directory $HOME/bin is not in you PATH!
**** You need to add directory $HOME/bin to your PATH to run new vim

but if I do the following:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/bin$ echo $HOME
/the/cussons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/bin$ echo $PATH
/usr/the_local/bin/:/usr/bin/:/the/cussons/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/the/cussons/bin/clewn/:/the/cussons/LeoScript/crudeleo-1.9/

you can see that $HOME/bin is in my PATH, therefore, does your error
message actually mean that as there is a version of vim in /usr/bin/
that this one will be loaded first and therefore, I should place
/the/cussons/bin/ before it in the PATH to give it preference?

1. Just answer 'p' to accept the certificate permanently.
2. The check for $HOME/bin in the path is not comlpete indeed.

a) Type 'type vim' in bash to see which vim is taken, one from
your /usr/bin or from $HOME/bin.

b) Put $HOME/bin to the *front* of your path, before /usr/bin and before
/usr/local/bin and before all other dirs that might contain other
version of vim.

c) Additionally,  put this in your .bashrc:
     alias vim=$HOME/bin/vim'

d) I recommend that you do both (b) and (c), and then check 'type vim' again.

I will need to fix vim7-install.sh to fix that $HOME/bin in the end.
I need to check that $HOME/bin is before other /usr/* dirs,
not only *somewhere* in the PATH. "Somewhere" in the PATH
is not good check. In your case, script was confused by the trailing
slash in $HOME/bin/, it expects $HOME/bin. I'll fix that, too. Thanks
for reporting.

Yakov