ben lieb wrote:
In ubuntu linux:

I have a remote (ssh) connection through nautilus (gui file manager).
When I right-click a file, I can open, edit and save the file in "text
editor" without any problem. When I open the file in gvim, it is empty.

What can I do to solve this?

Thanks for any help

Method I: Edit a local copy, and download/upload it as a separate step.

Method II: see
        :help netrw.txt
        :help netrw-start
        :help netrw-scp
        :help netrw-externapp
        :help netrw-read
        :help netrw-write

IIUC, in this case every transfer requires inputting a username and password -- at least if you cannot configure the server and client yourself, see
        :help netrw-listhack

If little green men land in your back yard, hide any little green women
you've got in the house.
                -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"