Apologies if this is too off topic!
(And it mostly interests US residents, I think.)

I am looking at this through the lens of securing
my access to the Vim website.

The FCC is accepting public comment on
Docket 07-52, In the Matter of Broadband Industry Practices.
Essential, large ISPs are requesting the right to offer
fee based prioritization of web traffic.

I did not find how to comment on the FCC site, but
until someone posts how to do that, you can use the
Common Cause form at
<URL:http://www.commoncause.org/InternetFreedom>

My letter (based on theirs) follows.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac

Re: Docket 07-52, In the Matter of Broadband Industry Practices

Please act now to protect net neutrality!

Net neutrality is the longstanding principle that prevents
discrimination on the Internet.  Countries deviating from
net neutrality do so primarily as a means of political
oppression.  Net neutrality protects political as well as
economic liberties.

Net neutrality was the basis of the growth of the Internet.
Deviations of net neutrality put Internet providers in the
position of being able to tax Internet commerce, which will
damage its growth.  Stop special interests from killing the
goose that laid the golden egg!

Telephone and cable companies wish to change the way the
Internet operates.  Instead of an open Internet that ensures
every website can be readily accessed by anyone with
Internet service, they want to control this access and
implement a a fee-based system.  It is easy to foresee that
the websites of nonprofits, small businesses, bloggers,
artists, and even political candidates will become more
difficult to find or use.  It is also likely that this power
to limit access will quickly be abused, as it is abused
today in countries that do not insist on net neutrality.
That would be a disaster for our economy, our culture, and
our democracy.

I count on the Federal Communications Commission to protect
consumers like me from companies that would like to
discriminate against certain types of content on the web.

I strongly urge you to support net neutrality principles
that prohibit broadband providers from blocking, impeding or
interfering with any lawful Internet traffic, or
prioritizing any content or services.

Thank you.