Steve Litt wrote:
On Sunday 20 May 2007 15:51, you wrote:
On 5/20/07, Steve Litt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all,

I tried to compile graphical Vim 7.1 on Mandriva 2007. I downloaded
vim-7.1.tar.bz2, untarred it, and did the following from the top level
directory created (vim71):

./configure --enable-gui
make
src/vim -g

The following error message appeared:

E25: GUI cannot be used: Not enabled at compile time

I retried, after make distclean, with the following configure options:

enable-gui=gtk
enable-gui=gtk2
enable-gui=auto

All produced the same error:

E25: GUI cannot be used: Not enabled at compile time

I chose not to perform make install in order to preserve the integrity of
my existing Vim 7.0 that came with Mandriva 2007.

Anyone know how to compile graphical Vim on Mandriva 2007, or at least
some diagnostic tests I can use to narrow down the problem?
You need to install gtk2-devel package. Also, the x11-devel package if
it's not installed.
The exact names of packages may vary between distributions. But the
idea is, you are
missing development packages (*-devel or *-dev) needed to compile GUI
functionality of vim.

Thanks Yakov,

I can't find them anywhere in the distribution packages. Funny thing is, Gnome works, and Mandriva managed to get a working 7.0 version of gvim installed on the machine as a package. Is there any way I can look at the error message and find out exactly what filename it's looking for? Perhaps it's just a missing symlink.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/

If you redirected your configure output (saving it as a logfile on disk) you can look into tyhat logfile, searching for anything unexpected.

Then, regardless of whether you logged configure output, there's the file src/auto/config.log, which traces in much more detail what happened during configure.

Note that for Vim, you don't need to run configure as a separate step: "make" (if there is no config cache), "make config" or "make reconfig" will invoke it; see my HowTo sheet http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/compunix.htm for details.

I agree with Yakov that you probably lack the "development" packages required to compile Vim (they are not needed to run a precompiled Vim binary). Search your installation source (CD-ROM, online repository, whatever) for packages with names similar (but not necessary identical) to

        ncurses-devel
        gtk2-devel
        xorg-x11-devel

and maybe more, depending on which features you want to include. If you can search package names, try to see all packages including "devel" (or maybe "-dev") in them, include any of them that you may need, and when in doubt about some package, include it. Then if you installed from a CD (which will always be slightly out-of-date even on the day you buy it), do an "online update" of your whole system (or whatever Mandriva calls it), and after that, set your environment options (as shown in my above-mentioned HowTo page), cd to the vim71/src directory (for building: there is no src/ subfolder in $VIMRUNTIME) and run

        make reconfig 2>&1 |tee ../reconfig.log

This normally runs configure and proceeds to compile and link. If it produces a Vim executable (in the current src/ folder), run

        ./vim --version |more

and, if it looks OK,

        cd ..
        make install 2>&1 |tee install.log

If, instead, it produces no executable, or if you don't get the features you wanted, check the logs, and try to find some more packages you might lack.

He thought he saw an albatross
That fluttered 'round the lamp.
He looked again and saw it was
A penny postage stamp.