Michael F. Lamb wrote:
jaywee wrote:
*! Swap caps lock and escape, good for Vim
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Escape = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Escape
add Lock = Caps_Lock
*to a file named .speedswapper to the home directory, and run *xmodmap ~/.speedswapper* in a terminal, I follow the guide and finally done! but the bad thing is I have to run the command every time I reboot ubuntu!!
so any helps??

If it's a default Ubuntu install, meaning you're a Gnome user, name the file .Xmodmap rather than .speedswapper. When you log in, it should detect it automatically, and ask if you wish to use it.

You might also find that configuration option available in the Gnome "Keyboard Properties" part of the system configuration menu, I'm not sure.

Hi, I've been using this tip for ages and find it very useful, but I have the same problem as jaywee and none of the solutions so far suggested have solved the problem. I am using Debian Etch with KDE 3.5.5. In my home directory, I have tried creating a .xinitrc with the same contents as the .speedswapper file (there wasn't one already existing), I have tried creating a .Xmodmap file with the same contents and I have looked in the KDE control panel for anything that might be able to do this, but didn't find anything. It's not a big problem, but it just would be nice to have it done automatically :-)

Thanks for any help,
Rob.