[...]
> So what I don't understand is, why can't I change these categories?
> I've been editing Mediawiki pages for 4 years, and I've never seen
> anything like this.

This isn't a figment of Tom's mind.

I just poked around the wiki. I'm not seeing a way to change the
category of an existing article. When you create a new article, you can
assign categories, but I'm not seeing a way to change the category on an
existing article even if you edit the entire article by clicking on the
edit link at the top of the article.

If there is a way to change the category of an existing article, I'm
missing it.

Mike