On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 10:29:04PM -0700, Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It looks like filename completion in the command-line mode is broken
> in Vim 7.1.82. I am running Vim 7.1.82 on Linux and see the following
> issue.
>
>     $ cd vim7/src
>     $ vim
>     :edit *unix*<Tab>
>
> When I press <Tab> to complete the name of files containing the string
> "unix" in them, it completes all the files in the current directory.
> It appears the specified pattern is ignored. Is anyone else seeing
> this problem?

It is introduced by patch 7.1.081 [1], which is supposed to fix this
bug:

- Command line completion for a shell command: "cat </tmp/file<Tab>"
  doesn't work.

In co-operation with Bram, I decided to make vim_isfilec() the judge of
which characters to treat as white space when doing shell completion.
We didn't think of your example ('*unix*<Tab>'), sorry.

I'll wait and see what Bram (or others) proposes as a solution.

Martin

[1] ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.1/7.1.081