Nikolai Weibull wrote:

>On 9/19/07, Charles E Campbell Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>let x='grĂ¼n'
>>echo "strlen(x)=".strlen(x)
>>
>>Thus, strlen() returns 5, not 4 as one might (sometimes) expect.
>>

>Here's what I have in one my base library:
>
>function now#mbc#len(str)
>  return strlen(substitute(a:str, '.', 'c', 'g'))
>endfunction
>
>Which is incredibly much better than your solution ;-).

Well, I came up with another solution, but it still isn't as good as
yours!  Shouldn't strlen() just handle this on its own?  With C or C++,
one may be wanting to use the output of strlen() to help with allocating
memory to hold a string; I don't see any of that application with Vim.

Regards,
Chip Campbell