>> Somehow using a dollar doesn't work here, probably because of expanding
>> environment vars.  We might not be able to change this without breaking
>> backwards compatiblity.
>
> This is completion-specific issue. In glob, the problem does not exist.
>
> Strangely, :e $<Tab> completes names of env.vars, but :e *a$<Tab>
> does not complete anything. Since <Tab> completions are not
> scriptable, backward-compatibility here is different maybe ? There are
> human habits of course.

My guess...

As usually <Tab> completion matches as if a * is added, i.e. abc<Tab> matches
files abc*, putting the $ at the end results in abc$* being matched. $ in the
middle of a pattern is not an end of string assertion but a literal $. Fixing
it
would then cause matching files with $ in their names to break--and such files
do
exist...though whether it is an issue if they aren't matched I don't
know...Matching files starting with $ is probably already a problem given
environment variables, so it may well be no great loss! And there is probably
always \$...I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me to see that representing
literal $, except possibly in DOS/Windows paths with the nightmare that their
backslash path separator is...

Ben.