On Jan 6, 2008 6:52 PM, Dasn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 06/01/08 17:14 -0500, Matt Wozniski wrote:
> >
> >So, there ought to be no problems with
> >for i in *; do
> >  printf "%s\0" $i
> >done
> >

> Hmm, I found some tricky stuff this morning, just one
>
> $ printf "%s\0" *
>
> is enough. Tested in freebsd, obsd, linux.
> I don't know why and whether it will work on other platforms. :)

Sure; that's not tricky at all, and it works with the caveat I
mentioned above...  If "printf" is an external binary, this needs to
go through an exec call, which means we could create a command line +
environment that's larger than ARG_MAX, causing the call to fail.
That's much, much less likely to happen when passing a single file
name.

~Matt