krischik wrote:

> Open a console and type "man 5 attr"? Or look here:
>
> http://linux.die.net/man/5/attr
>

> No it has nothing to do with Linux. FreeBSD, Solaris and Mac OS X
> support extended attributes as well. See:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes
>
 > Quote Wikipedia: "In Linux, the ext2, ext3, ext4, JFS, ReiserFS and
 > XFS filesystems support extended attributes (abbreviated xattr) if the
 > libattr feature is enabled in the kernel configuration. "

Oh, thanks - this is a good learning for me. It's a shame I never heard
of this before.

> On the other hand use of extended attributes could solve a problem
> with 5 lines of code where solving the same problem without could cost
> you 50. Determine file types, text file line endings and text file
> encoding come to my mind here. Ask Bram how many line of code he
> needed in Vim to determine these three informations. With consequent
> use of xattribs it would have been 6 lines:
>
> [...]
 >
> And best of all: you know before you open the file. AFAIK Bram need to
> close and reopen files in unfortunate combinations.

Such attributes would be useful, yes. But it's backward compatibility
that is the root of all evil and you also mentioned this in a sibling
post. So I'm not sure these things will become popular unless there is a
brand new OS appears which doesn't have to be compatible with anything
and it wins the market.

Also, the named attributes story doesn't have to do much with numbered
NTFS data streams, does it? It might be similar but numbers are too far
from string identifier convenience. Which brings me back to my original
thought - the design and implementation of data streams in NTFS are useless.

--
Alexei Alexandrov