> go to <http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search>, enter the MID
> in the Message-ID field and you will be redirected to
> <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.editors/msg/9c4cf8becf4c29b5>.

Thanks a bunch for the tip, Jürgen.

In answer to 'why tabs?' Tabs (also called tabpages--well, technically the
tabpage
is the contents, the tab is the thing you click to make the particular page
active) are basically a way to group windows together. Changing tabs is much
like
saving a Vim session and then reloading a different one--back come a whole set
of
windows viewing different buffers in different places. The benefit, of course,
is
that you don't have to save the files to move to a new tabpage. It's different
just having a buffer explorer, because you can have a whole arrangement of
windows
on a tabpage.

I don't use them all that much, but am beginning to a bit more and I tend to do
so
like this. I put each module I am working on in a different tabpage. So one
tabpage will have windows open for a handful of important files in my backend
module. Another tabpage will have windows open for a handful of important
frontend
files. Another tabpage has a single window open with my 'to do' list so I can
take
notes and remember where I am up to. Another tabpage has specs open for the
various data formats I am dealing with, for reference. I can switch between
them
at will, depending on what I need to work on.

Arguably clicking a tab or using gt is easier than selecting a file from a list
of
buffers which is potentially signficantly longer than you really want, too, due
a stack of unloaded buffers you no longer need, but which still hang around in
the
list.

Maybe that helps to explain the benefits.

Cheers,

Ben.