Jordan Lewis wrote:

> My name is Jordan Lewis, and I am applying to Vim for Google's Summer
> of Code this year. I am a first year student at the University of
> Chicago (and a Vim addict). I am planning to work on some of the items
> in todo.txt like the ideas page suggests, and I wanted to get some
> opinions on the ones that I've been looking at (I don't intend to
> necessarily work on all of these items, or these items exclusively).
>
> 1. Undo tree improvements
>    * Implement visual representation suggested by Damian Conway.

This is a "nice to have" feature.

>    * Undo persistence - save a representation of the tree to a file on or
>      before exit

This would be really nice.  But it's very likely too much work for the
SoC.  Especially because it must work very reliably.

>    * Pattern search - incremental search of undo tree for full text of each
>      operation - this could be fairly easily done by wrapping the existing
>      search function to search the right parts of the undo file

You mean that you search for a pattern in the undo information, and then
jump to the situation where it's found?  It's possible and not too
complicated (using the functionality of :earlier and :later.
But not an important feature.

> 2. Scrolling
>    * Add scrolling that doesn't move the cursor, as in the scroll bar in GUI
>      applications - this would serve as an automatic mark. movement would
>      spring the view back to where the cursor was, and you could choose to
>      move the cursor to the current view with a command. This would also be
>      usable (and helpful) in visual mode selection

That sounds like a nice item for the SoC.

>    * Implement Rimon Barr's suggestion of scrolling marks - save the current
>      cursor position to '- on a scroll or jump operation if there has been
>      editing between it and the last one.

Similar to the previous one.  A bit more difficult to decide how it
works exactly.

--
"Hit any key to continue" is a lie.