On 17/04/2008, Gary Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > On 2008-04-17, "A.Politz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 > > > Vimmers,
 > > >
 > > > i'm patched through 293 and running suse started vim
 > > > with "vim -u NONE -U NONE"
 > > >
 > > > to produce the weirdness start vim and set incsearch
 > > > then from the empty buffer ":normal 3i justatestword"
 > > > yes there is a space between the i and beginning of
 > > > the word.
 > > >
 > > > from the resultant buffer place the cursor on the
 > > > beginning of the line.  start a search(e.g. /) just
 > > > type .'s for the search pattern and you can see the
 > > > resultant search highlighting "jumping" forward.
 > >
 > > [...]
 >
 > I can reproduce the OP's observation, but I was confused
 > by his description at first, too.  The pattern is simply
 >
 >    .
 >
 >  then
 >
 >    ..
 >
 >  then

 >  and so on as you add periods to the pattern.
 >

 > > > further weirdness ensues if you start the search from
 > > > the space between the first "justatestword" and the
 > > > second.  start the search there and for the pattern
 > > > just type repeated .'s... the incsearch highlighting
 > > > jumps forward and backwards
 > >
 > > What exactly is the problem ?
 >
 > It just looks weird.  I understand the behavior in the
 > first case. Each time you add something to the search
 > pattern, vim assumes that you didn't like the first match
 > so it searches forward for the next match.

Why would it assume that?
Why would it assume that?

More weirdness. Place your cursor on the first of the two
lines beginning with `Why' above. Make sure you are at the
beginning of the line.

   :set noignorecase incsearch
   /w..............

This should highlight `would it assume' on the first line.

   :set ignorecase
   /w..............

This highlights `Why would it as' on the second line.

And now, with the cursor on the first line, on the `W', and
with ignorecase still set, try

   /w....

This highlights `Why w'

Put the cursor back on the first line, on the `W'. Now try

No jumping: works as expected, highlighting `would it
assume' on the first line.

 > I don't understand the behavior in the second case,
 > though, where the match appears to grow in both
 > directions and jumps back and forth.

Me too. --Antony