Meikel Brandmeyer wrote:

> Hello Vim developers,
>
> some days ago, there was a short discussion on #vim, that one cannot
> easily prevent plugins from loading. A distribution could install some
> scripts/plugins in the system-wide vimfiles directory, but the user
> could not defend against such a "pollution". Each plugin uses a
> different guard, so it's tedious to find out which one keeps a script
> from loading.

This sounds like a problem that needs to be fixed in the distribution.
Adding more features or a workaround is just making it more complicated.
If a system has a plugin that several people don't want, then it should
not be in a system directory.

If people are worried about duplicating plugins: These files are small,
this really should not be an issue.  When it's needed to centralize
versioning it's simple to make a symbolic link or a one-line file with
"source $VIMRUNTIME/optional_plugins/pluginname.vim".

The whole idea of plugins is that they are a simple "drop in a
directory" kind of thing.  And that's how it should be for most people.
Avoiding a plugin means deleting it.  That's all for 95% of the Vim
users.

There can be some special situations, such as having a newer version of
a plugin or two plugins that conflict somehow.  But that is rare and
should not be solved by a general mechanism.  The common way is to set a
global variable that indicates a plugin should not be loaded.  I have
yet to see a good reason why that can't be used.

--
WOMAN:   King of the who?
ARTHUR:  The Britons.