<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > > > Hi all. I've often encountered the situation where a plugin
 > > > maps keys that I've wistfully mapped in my vimrc. I think it
 > > > would be useful for a user to be able to prevent this, say
 > > > by using a notation such as
 > > >
 > > >   :map <final> \x foo
 > > >
 > > > Then if Vim tries to map \x elsewhere, the command is ignored.
 >
 > > That's a terrible idea.
 >
 > Ugh.  Sorry about sounding so harsh.  All I meant to say
 > was that there are already solutions in place for this
 > kind of problem.

No worries, but I'd argue that they are not solutions since
they aren't currently working for me. I don't think the user
should be penalised if a plugin writer doesn't check for
existing mappings. The way it stands right now a user cannot
prevent a plugin writer from overwriting their maps. I'd
like to be able to define a map in my vimrc and not have it
be unexpectedly redefined in certain buffers, similar to the
may you might use use the `final' keyword in Java. Do you
foresee any problems in allowing users to do this? --Antony