On Sun, Jun 29, at 03:19 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Richard -
>
> > On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 01:23, Markus Heidelberg
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I have adapted my relativenumber patch to Vim 7.2a, initial version
> > > was from 21.02.2008. Unfortunately it didn't get into mainline yet.
> >
> > I did not test it against 7.2a, but the feature does have its uses.
> > Bram, are you
> > willing to accept this patch? Is there something you want to see from the
> > community before you consider adding it?
>
> I don't know.  I can see it's somewhat useful, but it's also a "yet
> another option" thing.

Besides that it looks like a useful option, (with this chance) I would
like to suggest a new project, with the simple purpose to gather or to link,
to all those patches from different sources for different purposes and
needs, that are not *yet* on the mainline or for some reasons they will
never be.

This will help:

    - to redirect people when looking for a feature that is not yet
      available in the mainline
    - to help Bram integrate a patch, when the patch is mature or there
      is a demand for it
    - to be easy to contribute for a (possible) better implementation
      or for a simple fix
    - to have a centralized place to all those patches, to help users
      extend their vim in various (sometimes unlimited) ways

I know at least (besides Markus Heidelberg's relativenumber patch):

[1] Vince Negri's Conseal patch
[2] Bill McCArthy's & Ben Schmidt's (some more math functions)
[3] Konstantin Korikov's langmapmb  (very useful in multibyte locales)
[4] vimGdb
[5] vimshell

... and I am sure there might be others.

As a host I would suggest code google [6], as it has svn access, an issue
tracker and a wiki. A link to this project from the official vim site, will
be appropriate (with the usual warnings), although not strictly
necessary. A link also from the vim wiki it seems natural.

Just an idea.

1. http://vince.negri.googlepages.com/
2. http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/995aa20aac6b7bd4#
3.