* Tony Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [080829 10:06]:

> On 29/08/08 14:25, Nikola Knežević wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a weird problem on my Mac OS X. If I mount a Linux SMB share
> > (manually, with -o noexec), and try to edit any file using either
> > plain vim or MacVim, that file gets executable bit set. I don't know
> > where to look to disable this behaviour.
> >
> > Any hints?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nikola
>
> I'm not sure it _can_ be disabled. IIUC, the reason is that samba
> usually means Windows at the other end, and typical DOS/Windows
> filesystems (such as the variations on the FAT filesystem) have no
> executable bit. What they have is "hidden", "system" and "readonly" (the
> fourth one, "archive" is not really an access bit). Similarly in Cygwin,
> all "Windows" files have their access bits set to -rwxrwxrwx, or
> -r-xr-xr-x if they are readonly.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

I'm not sure about Mac OS X, but samba under Linux allows specifying
options file_mode and dir_mode for the mount (on the client side), which
should give you the behavior you want if the Mac OS X samba client
allows them.  Also, if both the client and server recognize CIFS (the
successor to SMB), then you shouldn't have this problem at all.  The
Linux samba suite has used CIFS when possible for years.

...Marvin