On 2008-11-08, Gautam Iyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just updated the mail.vim syntax file to include syntax folding. It
> now supports folding away quoted text, headers, and signatures.
>
> Does someone have comments? Issues are as follows:
>
>     1. Someone who has fdm=syntax will start composing new mail with all
>        text folded away (his signature, header, and quoted text). I
>        presume this is useless. I avoid this by putting an autocommand
>        that sets fdc=3 and fdl=9 for mail files. But perhaps this should
>        be done by default in the ftplugin file, if the user has
>        fdm=syntax.
>
>     2. Bram uses expression folding: I attach the snipped he sent to me
>        (off list). Perhaps this should go into the default ftplugin
>        file, and add documentation saying mail can be folded by
>        syntax/expression etc.
>
>     3. Would be nice to have the important header fields unfolded. But
>        that would involve splitting the header into multiple regions,
>        which might or might not be desirable.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I do have a couple of comments.

1.  A proper signature is no more than 4 lines and appears at the
    very bottom of the message, so folding it seems hardly
    worthwhile.  Other people's signatures should not be included in
    a reply.

2.  Similarly, if your mailer includes any of your headers at all in
    the file it gives your editor, they should be few and at the
    very top of the file.  Other people's headers need not be
    included in a reply.

3.  If part of the message you are quoting is not important enough
    for you to need to refer to it as you're composing your reply,
    it's not important enough to include in the reply.  Any part of
    a message that you would like to fold away should probably just
    be deleted from the message.

Regards,
Gary