2008/11/15 Tony Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On 15/11/08 11:12, Dominique Pelle wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I notice that Vim-7.2.40 (huge) crashes on start up when I
>> compile it with gcc 4.3.2 with -O3 (that's the default gcc
>> version from Ubuntu-8.10), but it works perfectly fine when
>> compiled with -O0, -O1 or -O2.
> [...]
>
> -O3 is a nondefault setting in Vim, isn't it? I didn't make any changes
> to how the Vim configure and make optimizes its compile, and I end up
> (for a Huge Gnome2 GUI, but also for a Tiny Console-only build) with -O2
> -fno-strength-reduce -Wall
>
> "gcc --version" answers:
> gcc (SUSE Linux) 4.3.1 20080507 (prerelease) [gcc-4_3-branch revision
> 135036]
>
> followed by a copyright notice and liability disclaimer.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

When I said "this is the default", I meant gcc-4.3.2 is the
default compiler of Ubuntu-8.10.  I did not mean that -O3
is the default optimization level when compiling Vim.
Maybe that was confusing.

In any case, I would expect -O3 to work. One of the most
important optimization brought by -O3 is inlining of functions.
And this is precisely the optimization which somehow breaks vim.

You can build with -O3 by editing src/makefile, or by doing...

make CFLAGS=-O3

Doing a google search, I found afterwards that it's not a new
issue.  It was already reported here with the same suggested
fix:

However, the above thread mentions that -fstack-protector triggers
it,  whereas I observe it with -O3 or with -O2 -g -finline-functions.

Cheers
-- Dominique