On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 11/02/09 16:23, Matt Wozniski wrote:
> [...]
>> Well, of course I didn't mean that we should add the features to the
>> zip format.  Rather, I meant we should do something more like XPI -
>> create a zip file, rename it to .vba, and let vim handle it specially.
>>   The change would be transparent to users, and give more useful
>> features to developers, without having to reinvent the wheel.
> [...]
>
> For backward compatibility, *.vba shouldn't be a zipfile under another
> name (which .xpi and .jar are, but these extensions were never used for
> something else before). *.vba.gz (keeping the .vba as-is and compressing
> them for transport, the way .tar.gz relates to plain .tar) would be easy
> to implement; if you want something more complicated than this, I
> believe a new extension would be necessary.

Yes, I realized that after sending that email off - I was thinking
about it providing backwards compatibility in the sense that the
install process for a zip-based vimball and a vimscript-based vimball
could be made largely the same, but at the time of writing it didn't
even occur to me that the old vimball install scripts would mangle it.
 Oops.

~Matt