Danek Duvall wrote:

> I've been wanting to code this up for a while, and almost had it a while
> back, but couldn't quite get it working, and put it aside until today.
>
> It's not ready for integration, since it's not at all tied into the
> autoconf setup, and requires that you modify src/auto/config.mk to add
> -DDYNAMIC_PYTHON to PYTHON_CFLAGS and wrap -lpython2.4 in PYTHON_LIBS with
> -zlazyload / -znolazyload, but otherwise it seems to work: python isn't
> loaded until the first python command is executed, and (as far as I've been
> able to tell) executes python code just fine after that, has("python") is
> true, etc.
>
> Comments on the patch itself are appreciated.  Suggestions on how it might
> be made to work on Linux are also appreciated, though I don't really have
> any means of testing it at the moment.  And help with getting it tied in
> with autoconf would be great; I'm not sure how to move forward on that.  If
> there are any Python script torture tests I should run, let me know; I'm
> not sure what the best python scripts are to play with.
>
> I haven't looked at doing the other interpreters yet, though I'd like to do
> that, as well as see if it's possible to dynamically load the GUI.

I haven't looked at the patch yet, but I would like to encourage others
to help make this work for as many systems as possible.  It's so much
nicer when Vim can be build with Python and the binary distributed to
systems where Python is not available.  Less versions, more flexibility.

I assume that for building the Python headers and tools are still
required, thus it only helps for when distributing a Vim binary.

--
>From "know your smileys":
 :-)-O  Smiling doctor with stethoscope