On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Tony Mechelynck
<antoine.mechely...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If some version of Vim 3 already had the function (i.e. it was already
> there as other than a "new feature" in Vim 4.0.000), then I suppose you
> can say by now that it's been there "forever", and the only case when
> you might still be unable to use it is if you use a non-feature-complete
> Vim lacking some optional feature which includes that function. Of
> course, -eval versions include no functions at all.

VimL scripting was introduced in Vim 5.0, eleven years ago, according
to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim_(text_editor)#History. Personally,
I wouldn't expend more than a few minutes ensuring compatibility with
Vim 6.0 (2001), especially if you need dictionaries and other 7.0
features.

I think it's a mistake to continue supporting users who run really old
versions of Vim or really old operating systems. Their numbers are
dwindling and supporting them has real costs in terms of testing and
code complexity. Look at the horrendous amounts of conditional code in
the C source. If they don't want to upgrade (or can't), they'll have
to accept limitations. They certainly have to from other programs.
--
/George V. Reilly  geo...@reilly.org
http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech