On 14/07/09 03:56, K L wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did not find a similar bug by a quick search in this mailing list.
> I'm sorry if there's already duplicates.
>
> Setup:
> ======
> Vim 32 running on AMD64 machine. Test is done on Win Vista enterprise
> and Win 7 RC.
>
> Reproduction:
> ==========
> 1. Opening a command line window
> 2. cd /d c:\Windows\System32
> 3. notepad ddd.txt
> 4. This will bring up notepad window. Say "Yes" if asked to create a
> new file named "ddd.txt"
> 5. Enter any text. save and exit
> 6. Still in %system32%, enter: vim ddd.txt
> 7. Vim program is bought up.
>
> Actual Results:
> ===========
> * On the vim modeline, it says: "ddd.txt" [New File]
> * When editing this file and save. Vim saves it to directory
> c:\windows\syswow64
>
> Expected Results:
> =============
> Vim should open the correct file which is in currect working directory
> %system32%
>
> Comments:
> =========
> The problem should be a wow64 specific bug. Please investigate.
>
> I used the Sysinternal tool "Process Monitor" (procmon.exe) to get a
> trace of activities of notepad and vim during my operation. I hope
> this is useful for locating the bug. Procmon.exe can be downloaded
> from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx
>
> The trace file Logfile.PML can be opened by procmon.exe, while
> Logfile.CSV can be opened by any text editor.
>
> Kefei Lu

I don't know much about Vista, but this sounds to me like one more
instance of "Vista paranoia". System32 is a "system directory" and I
suspect that not everyone or every application can create files there.
Maybe your cmd.exe shell (wherein you ran vim.exe) hadn't got enough
privileges to access system directories?

Best regards,
Tony.
--
There are really not many jobs that actually require a penis or a
vagina, and all other occupations should be open to everyone.