Well,

> Isn't that only checking the type of CPU that the vim binary was built
> with, instead of whether it was built as an x64 binary?  Or does
> defining WIN64 cause an x64 binary to be built instead?

CPU in makefile defines target CPU.
-DWIN64 passed to compiler does nothing besides pointing out to source
code we are targeting x64 or IA64.

> I'm not sure what has("win64") should be returning based only on
> reading the help, but I'd imagine it should either be a) whether the
> vim binary itself is a 64 bit binary, or  b) whether the OS that the
> binary is running on is a 64-bit version of windows.  The latter seems
> more useful, but I'm not sure just from the help.  If I'm right,
> though, it would have to be a runtime test; nothing at compile time
> could do the trick.

Source code clearly states it was meant as a compile-time check:
#ifdef WIN64
        "win64",
#endif

Honestly, I'm not sure what's the point in knowledge what OS version
we are running.

--
Sergey Khorev
http://sites.google.com/site/khorser