On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> Mohsin wrote:
>
>> Attaching patch7.zip encryption Key_strengthening
>>
>> Changes:
>> 1 added 8 bytes salt to file header,
>> 2. sha256_key takes password, salt, salt_len  (salt is binary, not
>> null terminated)
>> 3. sha256_seed also generates salt along with iv.
>> 4. bf_key_init takes password and salt.
>> 5. bf_key_init converts ascii hex key[64] to binary key[32] (this
>> change is independent of the 1..4 above)
>>
>> Also attached is vc-proj.zip (contains dsp and dsw project files).
>> The HG repository didn't have these files, so I copied them from older
>> older source tree.
>> Might be useful to others on this list using vc++ on windows to debug.
>
> Can you explain what this does, how it makes the encryption stronger,
> and if there is any impact on performance?  A link to a page that
> explains it would be helpful.

Here is the doc for salting, this can be added to the code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_strengthening

Its summary is:

The salt is a random number concatenated to the password to create a
one time key.

This prevents someone from precomputing keys (dictionary),
because the salt is a different in each file.

The key computation is slowed down for offline attack;
this prevents someone with the file+salt but not the password,
from using brute force -
That is they feed all passwords 'a', 'aa', ... but they should NOT
have enough time to to try all 8 char passwords.

===
Other docs that relate to this code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowfish_%28cipher%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_cipher_modes_of_operation