A recent edit to a tip includes a claim that having :match in
autocmd events leads to severe slow downs due to a memory leak.

The tip has a variety of methods to highlight unwanted spaces,
including the following extreme version which attempts to
highlight dubious spaces as you type, but NOT highlight a
trailing space at the end of a line as you are typing it:

highlight ExtraWhitespace ctermbg=red guibg=red
match ExtraWhitespace /\s\+$/
autocmd BufWinEnter * match ExtraWhitespace /\s\+$/
autocmd InsertEnter * match ExtraWhitespace /\s\+\%#\@<!$/
autocmd InsertLeave * match ExtraWhitespace /\s\+$/
autocmd BufWinLeave * call clearmatches()

The last line was just added with the claim that it is necessary
to avoid severe slow downs. I probably won't have an opportunity
to check this claim, and there is no indication of what version
of Vim was used, but I thought I would mention this in case
someone wants to investigate.

The tip is:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_unwanted_spaces

The difference showing the two recent edits is:
http://vim.wikia.com/index.php?title=Highlight_unwanted_spaces&diff=27609&oldid=27103

John