Thanks for the information! The whole section on x11 clipboard
integration can be found for quick reference at
http://vim.dindinx.net/vim7/html/gui_x11.txt.php#x11-selection

Since this is behaviour declared in the help but not working, it's a
bona fide bug then. I found one confirmation with workaround in the
wild:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2831024/vim-terminal-copy-to-x-clipboard-and-paste-while-suspeneded

Would anyone running a Gnome-based system like to confirm the bug? The
bug doesn't have anything to do with Gnome, it's an X issue. I'm
trying to fix the problem, however, by using gtk functions and
specifically targeting Gnome settings daemon's clipboard manager for
testing because it fully supports the freedesktop.org ClipboardManager
specification.

-Sarah Strong
Tony: sorry for the repost, I replied to you privately by mistake.
Thanks so much for your help!