On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 9:22 am, Garner Halloran <garner...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Using 7.3a BETA on Windows 7.  If I double click on any file in explorer
> > that has been associated with gvim it brings up an empty editor.  I can
> drag
> > the file into the window and it will work.  I can right click and Edit
> with
> > Vim and it will work.  Gvim is my editor for p4v and if I double click a
> > file there it works.
> >

> What happens if you set up file associations manually?
>
> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Windows_file_associations
>
> This is probably a problem with the installer...maybe Windows 7 does
> file associations differently than previous Windows versions? If so we
> should update the tip as well as the installer.
>
> --

That did not work.  I tried this with just a .txt file.

assoc .txt=txtfile
ftype txtfile="c:\vim\vim73b\gvim.exe" --remote-silent "%1"

It still launches gvim but no text.

I also tried this:

assoc .=txtfile

Then I tried to double-click _vimrc and it opened it up in an existing gvim
and replaced one of my buffers.  I then closed all of my gvim windows and
tried again.  Double-clicking _vimrc opened it up in a new window.  Very
strange.

And finally I closed all gvim windows and tried opening a .txt file again,
but no luck.