Nazri Ramliy wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@gmx.de> wrote:
> >> Is anyone aware of anything like a terminal-emulator version of
> >> Selenium?
>
> What if we had some helper command that dumps how the
> current screen look like so that it can be compared with
> some "expected_dump.txt"?
>
> Something along the lines of:
>
>       FILE *fd = fopen("dump.txt", "w");
>       int r, c;
>       for (r = 0; r < screen_Rows; r++)
>           for (c = 0; c < screen_Columns; c++)
>               fputc(ScreenLines[r * screen_Columns + c], fd);
>           fputc('\n', fd);
>       fclose(fd);
>
> I think this would help in testing stuff that would not be
> easy to test currently like 'relativenumber', and
> completion-related stuff.
>
> Vim can then be told to dump the screen to a file by setting
> up hooks, say, "dump the screen whenever this or that event
> happen", or maybe done through the "--remote-send/expr" or
> by sending signals.
>
> This implies that the test must be done in a pre-set terminal
> size.
>
> The file "expected_dump.txt" would of course be prepared
> through the same facility.
>
> I think the BOE (benefit-to-effort, as in signal-to-noise) ratio
> would be quite high.
>
> Worth a shot?
>
> Hmm or we can just make use of the hardcopy feature in screen
> (the terminal multiplexer)?

Using the lowest level information about the screen is a good idea.  We
don't test the communication with the terminal then, but that's a
separate issue, and there have been very few problems in that area the
last few years.

We can use the remote facility from one Vim to control another Vim.
Basically:

        Start Vim: :!vim --servername VIMTEST -u {test vimrc}

        Send command:  :call remote_send("VIMTEST", ":edit file\<CR>")

        Evaluate effect: :echo remote_expr("VIMTEST", screen_char(0, 0))

The only thing missing is the function to obtain the properties of a
screen character, such as screen_char().  That's easy to implement.

This only works when compiled with the remote server feature, thus it
won't work to test a small version.  Not a real problem.

We can't get output at the command line this way.  Accessing the message
history should help, but it doesn't store all the output.  Perhaps a
testing mode can be enabled to store all output on the command line and
a function to obtain it.

A few more generic things would be needed, such as a check that there
was no error message.

Perhaps someone can give this a start to test the conceal feature?  That
would be an excellent example of what we should be able to test this
way.

--
OLD WOMAN: Well, how did you become king, then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite,