Gary Johnson wrote:
I just installed Vim 7.3e BETA from the Cream site and I think I've
found a bug in netrw.

I start gvim by double-clicking the Vim icon on my desktop.  Then I
execute

     :e sftp://usern...@server.com/.vimrc

A command window pops up containing

     C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c sftp "usern...@server.com:.vimrc"
C:\DOCUME~1\USERNA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VIA12.vimrc
     Connecting to server.com...
     usern...@server.com's password:

When I enter my password, the following appears in that same command
window.

     Fetching /xc/u/g/username/.vimrc to
     C:DOCUME~1USERNA~1LOCALS~1TempVIA12.vimrc
     Couldn't open local file "C:DOCUME~1USERNA~1LOCALS~1TempVIA12.vimrc"
     for writing
     : No such file or directory
     shell returned 1
     Hit any key to close this window...

Vim's buffer is empty.

In addition to that, I see two potential problems.  One is that
there are no backslashes between directories in the error message.
Another is that netrw is apparently trying to put the temporary file
in a path containing the remote user's name rather than the local
user's name.

I am running this on a Windows XP machine.  The "username" on the
remote system is different from my Windows user name.  I also have
7.3f BETA which I compiled for Cygwin on the same machine and the
same :e command works fine on the Cygwin version.  I am using the
versions of netrw that came with the Vim 7.3 installations.

Check over your settings for the following; make sure that you can submit commands with them (:! dir):

"  set shell : name of shell to use for ! and :! commands
" set shq : shellquote -- how to quote characters about the cmd passed to shell " set sxq : shellxquote -- includes redirection (shellquote excludes that) " set ssl : shellslash -- when set, forward slash used to expand file names " set shcf : shellcmdflag -- flag passed to shell to execute ! and :! commands " set sp : shellpipe -- string used to put output of :make into errorfile " set srr : shellredir -- string used to put output of filter cmd into temporary file

Cygwin provides a more-unix-like environment; the settings you have that run with it aren't likely to be the ones you need for windows.

What is your $HOME?
What does  :call tempname()  show?

Can you run a debugging trace?   (see  :help netrw-debug)

Regards,
Chip Campbell