On 12/08/10 00:32, Steve Hall wrote:
As a rule, are the Mercurial runtimes more current than FTP? Or are we
still in the situation where either patches or FTP files could be? (In
times past, I found that FTP always superseded patches.)

Nowadays, Bram keeps his master copies of the Vim source and runtimes on https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ which is a Mercurial repository, so what you pull from there is the most recent version of whatever you get (including at the moment both Vim 7.2 and Vim 7.3f for all platforms that Bram supports, with all their language files, helpfiles and other runtime scripts) — or you can "update" to any past state of Vim 7, back to (I think) Vim 7.00aa alpha snapshot 0001. Anything else is nowadays only a mirror of this Mercurial repository, and has a time lag varying (depending on which mirrored repository you use) from minutes to weeks.

For Vim 7.3 beta, no patches are published anyway AFAIK, and for Vim 7.2, the latest change was patch 446 dated one month ago.

See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial describing how I did it, in a language meant for people who (like me ;-) ) never used a versioning system before; and if you find blatant errors, or if you think a comment is in order, by all means go ahead and edit it.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Politicians do it to everyone.