On 2010年09月14日 22:55, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

Yukihiro Nakadaira wrote:

I think that the following paragraph is outdated.  I confirmed with
vim-5.5.001 and it behaved as explained (I can see only CTRL character
behavior).  But vim-7.3.003 didn't.

insert.txt:
558 Note that the only times characters beyond the cursor should appear to move
559 are in 'list' mode, and occasionally when 'wrap' is set (and the line
changes
560 length to become shorter or wider than the width of the screen), or
561 momentarily when typing over a CTRL character.  A CTRL character takes up
two
562 screen spaces.  When replacing it with two normal characters, the first will
563 be inserted and the second will replace the CTRL character.

With what settings does it not work as mentioned?  Esp. the 'display'
and 'list' options.  What is the original text and what do you type
exactly?

What I typed is
    vim -u NONE
    i<C-L><C-L><C-L><C-L><C-L><Esc>0gRabcd

What I saw is
    vim-5.5.001
     1: ^L^L^L^L^L
            v (type a)
     1: a^L^L^L^L^L<- first ^L is not replaced yet
            v (type b)
     1: ab^L^L^L^L
            v (type c)
     1: abc^L^L^L^L
            v (type d)
     1: abcd^L^L^L

    vim-7.3.003
     1: ^L^L^L^L^L
            v (type a)
     1: a ^L^L^L^L<- first ^L is replaced
            v (type b)
     1: ab^L^L^L^L
            v (type c)
     1: abc ^L^L^L
            v (type d)
     1: abcd^L^L^L

I see.  So how about this text instead:

Note that the only times characters beyond the cursor should appear to move
are in 'list' mode, and occasionally when 'wrap' is set (and the line changes
length to become shorter or wider than the width of the screen).  In other
cases spaces may be inserted to avoid characters to move.

That sounds good.
Thanks.

--
Yukihiro Nakadaira - yukihiro.nakada...@gmail.com