Bram Moolenaar wrote:

SungHyun Nam wrote:

Yuriy Kaminskiy wrote:
SungHyun Nam wrote:
2010-09-23 AM 12:49, Young Ho Park wrote:
Hello. I am a Vim user from South Korea. I seem to find the bug about
cut(or copy) and paste. Let me explain steps to a paste fail.

I use Vim7.2 in Gnome2.3 of Fedora13 or Ubuntu10.04 and my locale is
ko_KR.utf8 0. I executed Vim. 1. I wrote Alphabet and Hangul mixed
string. 2. I clicked a copy(or cut) button. 3. I closed Vim. 4. I
executed Vim again. 5. I clicked a paste button. 6. English
characters were well copied. But Hangul characters are changed to
question marks like: =BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?

Is it a bug? Or didn't I turn on some options?

More info about this problem.

1.  If I don't quit select&copied-gvim, then paste to
      gnome-terminal or other-gvim works fine.

2.  If I quit select&copied-gvim:
      o   paste menu in gnome-terminal became disabled (and nothing
          happened if I click middle mouse button).
      o   when I paste in other-gvim, hangul characters are now
          corrupted.

I think this was introduced in 7.2.221 patch, that tries a bit
too much to follow standard on CUTBUFFER* encoding, rendering it
useless for any non-latin1 locales.

I revert 7.2.221 patch [*1*] and the corrupt problem gone.

With a reverted gvim-gtk2,

1.  If I don't quit select&copied-gvim, then paste to
       gnome-terminal or other-gvim works fine.

2.  If I quit select&copied-gvim:
       o   paste menu in gnome-terminal became disabled (and nothing
           happened if I click middle mouse button).
       *   PASTE IN OTHER-GVIM WORKS FINE (NO CORRUPTION).

The cut buffer is a very old mechanism and should not be used for any
modern program.  See http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html They
are still provided for compatibility with old programs, and these are
expected to only use latin1.

The problem is that when Vim exits the contents of the selection and
clipboard are lost.  The text is put in the cut buffer as a last resort.
Not only does this drop the encoding, also other properties are lost
(e.g. blockwise selection).

One could think of a hack, such as a magic string at the start of the
buffer that encodes the meta data.  But the result is that pasting in
another application produces a mess.

The only good solution is to not exit Vim.  Or use some kind of
clipboard manager that consumes the text and mimics Vim when it has
exited.

How about acting like gnome-terminal?
I mean 'no paste' for such a case.

Regards,