-----Original Message-----
From: vim_dev@googlegroups.com [mailto:vim_...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Dominique Pellé
Sent: 10 October 2010 09:18
To: vim_dev@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Sorry for no subject; HIGHLIGHT stops working around 144000th
time

Pablo Contreras wrote:

>> Hi All,
>> You may think I'm crazy, why would you want to call HIGHLIGHT so many
>> times??? Because I wrote a color scheme script that updates the
>> highlight continuously. Each 'time' it calls HIGHLIGHT 40 times to
>> update each major syntax element's name, and if as I did you increase
>> the frequency did once per second, this script ends up calling
>> HIGHLIGHT 40 x 60 x 60 times in one hour = 144000.  Works perfectly,
>> but... at around the hour, or around the 144000th call to HIGHLIGHT,
>> HIGHLIGHT starts making the foreground color invisible.  You can not
>> read the text on the screen any more.  If you do a ":" for command,
>> the foreground colors appear but as soon as normal execution resumes
>> and my script does more HIGHLIGHTs the ink becomes invisible again.
>> As a work around, I have to re-start Vim every hour or so.
>> Thanks guys,
>> Pablo.

>Hi Pablo

>Could you send a minimalistic script which reproduces the >
>problem.

>Make sure the script sets all required options so it can be
>started by something like "$ vim -u NONE -S bug.vim" to make
>sure it does not depend on your ~/.vimrc or ~/.vim files.

>Cheers
>-- Dominique

Hi Dominique,

I have removed most of the junk and left the muscle of my script.  The
script gets called by the CursorHold time-out.  On my _vimrc i set ut=950,
so the script gets called about once per sec.

                ~ 40 HIGHLIGHT commands
time    60 calls per minute
time    60 minutes per hour

= around 144000 calls to HIGHLIGHT per hour.

I try running this with $ gvim -u NONE -S bug.vim and it seems to run
without errors.  Sorry for the flickering, not sure why this is happening.
Have not tried running this for an hour yet.

I will let you know if I can make the 'bug' more reproducable(? spelling?)

Thanks a lot, guys!!
Pablo.