I am unable to use the xxd utility in Vim 7.3.35 on Windows XP
(installed via the "Cream without Vim" installer). Reinstalling does
not help. Rolling back to version 7.3.27 works fine.

>From :help win32-PATH:

The directory of the Vim executable is appended to $PATH.  This is
mostly to
make "!xxd' work, as it is in the Tools menu.  And it also means that
when
executable() returns 1 the executable can actually be executed.

In Vim 7.3.35, :echo $PATH does not include the Vim install directory.
It does include this directory in Vim 7.3.27.

I remember there were modifications of how Vim works with the system
PATH back in version 7.3.34, perhaps that is where the error was
introduced.