James Vega wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Alexey I. Froloff <ra...@altlinux.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 17:07, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
> >> It's a bit more complicated than that.  Checking for tinfo before
> >> ncurses might work on some machines.  But does it work everywhere?  Or
> >> do we need to add checks for what the library needs to contain?
>
> If tinfo exists, then the symbols Vim uses will be there instead of in
> ncurses.  AC_SEARCH_LIBS does look like the right way to check whether
> the system is using the split ncurses libs or the monolithic lib.
>
> > If you use symbols from a library, you must link your application against
> > this particular library, but not a library that is also linked against it.
> >
> > vim uses no symbols from libncurses itself,
>
> That obviously depends on how the libraries are built.  Fedora/RedHat
> build ncurses using the --with-termlib configure option which splits the
> terminfo library out to its own file.  I wonder how common that is and
> whether all the distributions which build with the split libraries use
> the same name.

This suggests that "tinfo" was added later, and if it exists it should
work to replace ncurses.

However, if some system has a "tinfo" library that doesn't have all the
symbols that Vim needs this will fail.  That might be unlikely enough to
make the change now and wait for users to complain.

--
Every person is responsible for the choices he makes.