Hello,

I don'd advocate for either the change or no-change in vim. I just want to
clarify the UNIX behavior:

> I understand that this is before the plugin is invoked, but why the
> difference?
>
> If 'bar' is a directory,
>
> ls foo/bar
>
> and
>
> ls foo/bar/
>
> produce the same result -- the directory listing. No complaints about

This is not exactly true.

Firstly: even if it would be true for ls - it's a matter of 'ls' maintainers
decision, nothing more. Especially it does not say "foo/bar" and "foo/bar/" are
same, in any manner. Only it says is ls shows them in the same way, sometimes.

Secondly: even ls does not show "foo/bar" and "foo/bar/" in the same way, not
always. Only if it "thinks" it does not matter. In the other words, there is
some heuristics prepared for users of ls, for their convenience. Nothing more.

Example:
        $ mkdir -p foo/tralala
        $ ln -s tralala foo/bar
        $ touch foo/tralala/test
        $ ls -l foo/bar
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 milan users 7 Feb 21 10:20 foo/bar -> tralala/
        $ ls -l foo/bar/
        total 0
        -rw-r--r-- 1 milan users 0 Feb 21 10:20 test

So even we still may discuss how much the current error messages in vim are
ergonomic (helpful for users, not confusing etc.), they are surely right from
technical point of view. And we should think about those messages from the
perspective of vim users, regardless of ls users.

Just to make things more clear,

Milan

--
Milan Vancura, Prague, Czech Republic, Europe