Gary Johnson wrote:

> I've encountered a problem using gvim 7.3.138 on a Windows XP system
> because of the way that Vim expands "plugin/**/*.vim" when it loads
> plugins.  Specifically, Vim includes RCS file names that end with
> .vim,v in that expansion.
>
> From a command prompt I executed
>
>     gvim -V5verbose2.txt
>
> to capture the error.  Here is the relevant portion of verbose2.txt,
> beginning with the expansion of "plugin/**/*.vim" in 'rtp' and
> ending with the first error from attempting to source
> plugin/RCS/ctags.vim,v.

>     finished sourcing $HOME\_vimrc
>     Searching for "plugin/**/*.vim" in "G:\vimfiles,C:\Program
> Files\Vim/vimfiles,C:\Program Files\Vim\vim73,C:\Program
> Files\Vim/vimfiles/after,G:\vimfiles/after"
>     Searching for "G:\vimfiles\plugin/**/*.vim"
>     sourcing "G:\vimfiles\plugin\AlignMapsPlugin.vim"
>     finished sourcing G:\vimfiles\plugin\AlignMapsPlugin.vim
>     sourcing "G:\vimfiles\plugin\AlignPlugin.vim"
>     finished sourcing G:\vimfiles\plugin\AlignPlugin.vim
>     sourcing "G:\vimfiles\plugin\AutoAlign.vim"
>     Searching for "plugin/cecutil.vim" in "G:\vimfiles,C:\Program
> Files\Vim/vimfiles,C:\Program Files\Vim\vim73,C:\Program
> Files\Vim/vimfiles/after,G:\vimfiles/after"
>     Searching for "G:\vimfiles\plugin/cecutil.vim"
>     line 26: sourcing "G:\vimfiles\plugin\cecutil.vim"
>     finished sourcing G:\vimfiles\plugin\cecutil.vim
>     continuing in G:\vimfiles\plugin\AutoAlign.vim
>     finished sourcing G:\vimfiles\plugin\AutoAlign.vim
>     sourcing "G:\vimfiles\plugin\DrawItPlugin.vim"
>     finished sourcing G:\vimfiles\plugin\DrawItPlugin.vim
>     sourcing "G:\vimfiles\plugin\NrrwRgn.vim"
>     finished sourcing G:\vimfiles\plugin\NrrwRgn.vim
>     sourcing "G:\vimfiles\plugin\PP.vim"
>     finished sourcing G:\vimfiles\plugin\PP.vim
>     sourcing "G:\vimfiles\plugin\RCS\ctags.vim,v"
>     Error detected while processing G:\vimfiles\plugin\RCS\ctags.vim,v:
>     line    1:
>     E492: Not an editor command: head^I1.19;
>
> The error can also be observed by cd'ing to an RCS directory
> containing one or more files ending in ".vim,v" and executing from
> within Vim
>
>     :args *.vim
>
> Vim will put all the *.vim,v files in the argument list and open the
> first one.
>
> This error does not occur on Unix systems, including HP-UX, Solaris
> and Linux.
>
> The gvim for Windows I was using was the latest without-Cream
> version available from the Cream web site, 7.3.138.

Strange.  I wonder what's special about that ",v" that makes it ignored
when comparing the file name against the pattern.

I'll add it to the todo list, but it's going to be a while until I can
look into it.

--
It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
                [real standing law in Alabama, United States of America]