Ingo Karkat wrote:
Here is another example:

DrChip's AsNeeded script comes with an ANX command:
     :ANX {cmd}
Uh, hasn't AsNeeded been obsoleted by Vim 7's autoload functionality? Anyway, it
probably could be worked around with dedicated :ANXRangeLine and :ANXRangeAll
commands, but I agree, for this particular case, using<range>  would be far more
elegant. I still doubt that there are many more use cases, though.

No, AsNeeded hasn't been made obsolete. The autoload capability to which I'm guessing that you're referring requires plugin writers to re-write their code to take advantage of it; AsNeeded doesn't.

Regards,
Chip Campbell