On 2011/5/10 2:35, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

Hong Xu wrote:

This patch makes the three commands: mkvimrc, mksession and mkexrc
commands could have a directory name as its argument. If the argument is
a directory, Then the file, which is the .vimrc, Session.vim or .exrc,
is generated under the directory and is named as the default file name
(which is .vimrc, Session.vim, .exrc respectively).

I don't see much advantage in this.  Why would the user not type the
path including the file name?  Currently you would do:

        :mkvimrc ~/.vim/.vimrc

After this patch:

        :mkvimrc ~/.vim

It's not really the behavior I expect: Either give no file name to use
the default file name, or specify the file name.

I do see a small danger: if the user accidentally types a wrong name
that happens to be a directory the file gets written in the wrong place.
Won't happen often though.

Hello Bram,

What about regarding the argument as a directory if the argument ends
with a path separator?

What is so difficult about typing the file name as well?  When using a
directory I would actually expect people to use "vimrc" instead of
".vimrc".

Hello Bram Moolenaar,

Just make it more convenient, no more complex reasons. Don't you think so?

Regards,
Hong Xu
2011/5/10