On May 19, 6:42 am, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
> Patch 7.3.191
> Problem:    Still some RISC OS stuff to remove.
> Solution:   Remove files and lines. (Hong Xu)
>             Remove the 'osfiletype' option code.

Did this entirely remove the 'osfiletype' option? There are still
several mentions of it in the :help documents (:helpgrep on my system
shows 17 matches).

I wonder, if we might re-use this option to implement a similar
extended attribute on Mac OS? See the following tip about saving the
encoding information with the file, in the com.apple.TextEncoding
extended attribute. I have no real idea how this stuff works (a google
search didn't turn up very much of use) but it looks like something
very useful which Vim could do if we can figure out how it is supposed
to work. There are probably other extended attributes which might be
more appropriate than the encoding, but I don't think encoding is that
far off the intent of this option. Maybe, though, it's better to just
do it in an autocmd like in the tip below:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Display_UTF-8_characters_in_Mac_Quicklook