Hi urbanpcguru!

On Mi, 08 Jun 2011, urbanpcguru wrote:

> I can open vim with sudo vim /etc/hosts  for example..  But how do I
> save and close it?  I can't seem to find the answer to this
> anywhere!?  Why would one easy question be so freaking hard to
> find??!!!

Because you are using the one and only true editor. We don't want, that
anybody simply can use our editor. After all, we don't provide
documentation or man pages, have no wiki don't distribute plugins and of
course won't answer questions. Drat, how did you even find our mailing
list?

> How do I save a file?   <--- Is this too easy a question to be
> answered?  I have been driven mad for 3 hours trying to find this one
> simple thing!!

Yes, this is too easy. Remember, you are using an editor, not a saver.
We don't save our files, we edit them! But here is a trick, you can use
to convince vim to save your file:

:w !tee %

to save and quit, we use:

:exe 'w !tee %' | exe '!kill -9' getpid()

I've heard, some people have mapped the former to :w and the latter to
:wq but that must be rumours, after all this is the true editor. There
is no easier way to do what you want than using it's builtin functions.

SCNR,
Christian