--
David Fishburn
Solutions Architect
iAnywhere Solutions / Sybase
On 6/14/2011 2:24 AM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Mar 22 2011 13:03:19)
MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version with OLE support
Included patches: 1-142

Vim maintains the numbered registers 0-9.  These are maintained
automatically by Vim.

I had a request for the YankRing plugin to also manage these registers
and make sure the top 10 most recently used entries in the YankRing are
in those registers.

In attempting to implement this, I see Vim has it's own design on
these.  So even as I write to them:
let @2 = 'blah'

This will be overwritten with something else.

You can read about the numbered registers here:
:h quote_number

Though I am seeing some behaviour with the #2 register that I can't
really explain.  I was hoping someone familiar with the code could have
a quick look at tell me what Vim is putting in this register.  I have
not been able to determine when or why this one is updated with the text
it receives.

Is there any Vim option to turn off the management of the numbered
registers?

I don't get it (which is why I didn't reply on vim_use :-)). Numbered registers generally behave as I expect them to, including when I set them, except for @" (which works as documented, but just isn't convenient always!). Can you spell out more specifically what the problem is? What specific steps show what happens and what would you prefer to happen?

I will put together a little repro, it is a bit complicated to reproduce at all times, so it will probably take me a couple of days before I can post it.

Thanks for the reply.
Dave