Hi,

> I don't know how to read these graphs.  Also, it's Debian only, suppose
> the picture is very different for mac or MS-Windows users?

R is at position 33 in the tiobe index:
http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

rexx isn't listed at all. I doubt it has much of a following anymore.

We could add a g:filetype_r variable to allow users to change the
> fallback:
>
>   " Nothing recognized, use user default or assume Rexx
>   if exists("g:filetype_r")
>     exe "setf " . g:filetype_r
>   else
>     setf rexx
>   endif

Would this special solution that works only for this extension

    let g:filetype_r = "r"

really be an advantage over that

    au filetypedetect BufRead,BufNewFile *.R     setf r

New users would have to edit personal configuration files one way or the
other.

I could imagine some use of turning this into a general solution that's
valid for all extensions though -- and thus replacing the filetypedetect
autocommand group.

Regards,
Tom