On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Suresh Govindachar
<sgovindac...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Tools such as tags, cscope, global, idutils etc. for spelunking code
> essentially involve creating an index of the files in the project and using
> this index.  Tools like vim's :vimgrep work harder without the benefit of
> an
> index.  Some of the tools are restricted to C code only (with maybe some
> kludged support for C++).  And people continue to work at making new
> indexers (eg, http://silentbob.sourceforge.net/).
>
> Anyway, given Vim's connection to google, I am wondering if Bram has ideas
> for an indexer that would work nicely with Vim and help spelunk code in
> various languages.
>
> If there aren't already any on-going project with such a goal, Bram please
> consider proposing such projects.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Suresh

Steve Yegge of Google talked at the Northwest C++ Users' Group about an
indexing tool like you describe. Unfortunately, it was intended for
Google's internal codebase. There were vague noises about making it more
widely available, but I haven't heard anything more.
http://www.nwcpp.org/index.php/component/content/article/34-meetings/52-september-2010-meeting
--
/George V. Reilly  geo...@reilly.org  Twitter: @georgevreilly
http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech