On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:14:00 AM UTC-5, Thomas Köhler wrote:

> OK, now things are clearer for me. That's basically a good idea,
> but:
> - URL would also need to change:
>
> http://gott-gehabt.de/800_wer_wir_sind/thomas/Homepage/Computer/vim/syntax/uil.vim
>   would need to become something different, for example
>   http://www.vim.org/runtimefiles/syntax/uil.vim
> - all the vim runtime file maintainers would need to have
>   read/write access below http://www.vim.org/runtimefiles/ (or
>   whereever that is)
>
> The reason is that if another maintainer changes a file, the file
> also should be changed at the URL given in the file.

Yes, agreed.

> Of course there could be a git repository with all runtime files
> included,

Or, how about just a clone of the main Vim repository? Often runtime file
changes are related to changes in the Vim code. If we get going well enough we
might even convince Bram to pull runtime file changes directly.

I think the "official" repository should be a Mercurial clone, because that's
what Vim's official repository is, but there are extensions to both Hg and git
which allow them to work on the other's repository or convert one to the other
losslessly. So there could be secondary clones all over in git or Hg if desired.

> and all maintainers just send patches to a group of git
> maintainers, and the URL would point to where the central git
> repository would show the file, which would put down the number
> of people that need read/write access from a few hundred to just
> a few. What do you think?

I think I'd rather see it done with push/pull. If not everyone has push access
(I don't see why that shouldn't be the goal) each maintainer could easily make
their own clone and tell the main repo's maintainer(s) "please pull revXXXXXX
from my repository at YYYY".

Periodically Bram could either pull from the runtime repository, or export the
latest as a patch against the last merged version from the official repository.