On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:14:28 PM UTC-5, glts wrote:
> No responses so far, perhaps I was a little long-winded. I'm reporting
> on what I think is a bug in Vim 7.3.
>
> Basically, the "|" (go to screen column) command is ignored when it is
> used from the command line with ":normal", and 'virtualedit' is set to
> "all", and Visual block mode is entered immediately afterwards.
>
> Steps to reproduce.
> - ":se ve=all"
> - on a line with the text "<Tab>hello" issue the command ":norm 3|^V"
>
> The "3|" (go to virtual column 3) is ignored. Instead, the Visual block
> starts on the cursor position. This does not happen in real normal mode.
> I would very much appreciate your comments on this behaviour. I'm not
> familiar with the Vim source but I can investigate given some pointers.

I can confirm, what's missing from the description is that it only happens if
the desired cursor position falls within the display space of the tab character.

I started Vim with gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE, set virtualedit=all, and entered
text:

        <-this is a tab
this is some text

:normal! 6|^Vj
will highlight text starting at the current cursor position, with the other
corner in column 6 on the next line. It ought to select only column 6 in both
lines.

:normal! 10|^Vj
works as expected, selecting column 10 in both lines

Also using the first command in "real" normal mode works as expected.

If the tab is replaced by spaces:

        <-these are spaces
this is some more text

then both commands behave as expected.

Looks like a bug to me.

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Apr 30 2012 14:21:53)
MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version with OLE support
Included patches: 1-514
Compiled by digitec...@spamdancingpaper.com
Huge version with GUI.