Lech Lorens <lech.lor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have found a 100%-reproducible scenario in which Vim crashes. I work
> on 2 computers sharing a mouse and a keyboard between them with
> Synergy 2. One of the computers runs Windows 7 with Cygwin, the other
> is running Linux.
> Under Cygwin (no matter whether it is mintty or Cygwin/X with xterm;
> it doesn't happen with Windows native binaries) I start Vim and in Vim
> start visual selection. Then with the Cygwin window active I move
> mouse pointer to the other computer at which point Vim crashes.
> I tried running Vim from gdb (I think this is the main way of
> debugging programs under Cygwin) but all I get is a pretty useless
> stack trace consisting of 4 function names, 3 of which are
> '??????????????' and the last one is one of Windows system functions
> (can't remember right now the name).
> At this point, with no debugger, I can think of debugging the problem
> by inserting printfs() into Vim and trying to narrow down the
> suspected part of code. However, this is an extremely tedious job and
> I hoped that somebody would point out: "Hey, you haven't configured
> gdb correctly!" or would suggest some other way of dealing with the
> task.
>
> Help? Anyone?

This may be too obvious, but have you made sure that you
compiled Vim with  -O0 -g  and made sure the the executable
was not stripped.  Vim's makefile strips the executable by
default, but you can comment out the strip command in the
makefile.

I don't have windows to try, but I remember using gdb on
cygwin with success a long time ago.  It should work.
You have to start Vim under gdb (gdb --args ./vim) since
I don't think that core files are supported on Cygwin for
post-mortem analysis.

Regards
-- Dominique